LookEnhancements enhancement

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 02:02:28 UTC 2005

Hi Adrian,

On 7/26/05, Adrian Lienhard <adi at netstyle.ch> wrote:

> Unfortunately the newer version cannot be loaded anymore in a 3.7
> image because of the dependency on SystemProgressMorph which seems to
> be new in 3.8. I don't know whether you can easily make that
> backwards compatible or not. I think it's not that important but
> would "nice to have".

I wonder if there is a Monticello way of handling this. I added some
overrides to SystemProgressMorph and the only way I know how to address what
you are talking about is to fork my code to handle 3.7's lack of
SystemProgressMorph class. Can you just proceed past the warning or is there
something fatal ocurring?

> Another thing that stroke me is peed... In 3.8 with the enhancement
> everything seems to be a bit slower than before (the UI in Squeak
> never was fast but I have the feeling it become slower with each new
> release...).

I'll look at the performance numbers. I have some ideas of what my be
slowing things down.

To get some numbers (they should probably be treated with care..) I
> evaluated "[ 10 timesRepeat: [ Browser openBrowser ] ] timeToRun" and
> got:

Regards,

John
--
It's easy to have a complicated idea. It's very very hard to have a simple
idea. -- Carver Mead