SqueakSource problems

Michael Rueger michael at impara.de
Thu Jul 28 06:27:59 UTC 2005

Scott Wallace wrote:
> Every time I've tried to go to http://www.squeaksource.com/ tonight,
> I've encountered the following error:
>
> ------------------
> *Bad Gateway*
> The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

This particular error message is just a fancy way to say the server is
down ;-)

> Can anyone shed any light?

Yes, unfortunately.
It seems that the squeak source servers (including ours at
source.impar.de) tend to get into these navel gazing modes, 95% CPU
load, still responding to requests, sometimes coming back, sometimes, as
in your case, not.

We tried to track this down but couldn't yet. Help would be greatly
appreciated as these servers, I think, are critical for quite a few of us.

One weird thing we noticed is that in some cases the server came back
once you connected to the UI (we run the servers against VNC). Running
headless didn't help.

We are running

3.7b-5 #1 Tue Apr  6 20:36:57 CEST 2004 gcc egcs-2.91.66
Squeak3.7beta of '1 April 2004' [latest update: #5868]
Linux pingu.inria.fr 2.2.19-6.2.7 #1 Thu Jun 14 07:51:10 EDT 2001 i686

Michael