First attempt at SVG for squeak

Gary Chambers gazzaguru at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 30 21:36:48 UTC 2005

> Also, if you need some help or some kind of testing, I will be glad to
> lend you a hand.

Testing is and comments are always welcome!

> - SVGMorphs are always inside the sheet where they were drawn. If they
> could be managed out of the sheet, as sketchmorphs would be much more
> useful.

Not sure what you mean. SVGMorph is the top level that manages the defs
(fills etc).
It would be possible (perhaps!) to offset things to cover only the bounded
area of its submorphs.

> - The drawing is not redrawn often after opening a window or menu over
> the svgmorph. When the menu is closed, the space that it filled in the
> svg is just a white box.

Have not had this problem, maybe next release will address this as update
deferral of the
canvas is no longer being forced.

> - Gradients use to cause "key not found" errors. SVGMorph >>GetFills:
> fails often with inkscape svg, it doesn't find gradients like
> 'linearGradient1717'

Have done some withBlanksTrimmed stuff for now. Really need to write proper
parse methods for
attributes of elements.

> - "A primitive has failed" errors also are often raised when loading
> some complex drawings. (guard02.svg)

Am trying to figure out the limitations of Balloon. Some things can't be
done.
Will coerce values into acceptable ranges to avoid this.

> - Some drawings are never loaded (feet01.svg)

That seemed to be tied in to the deferred update issue.

> I am really looking forward for your future releases. I know it is a
> really hard work because I spent some days studying the possibility or
> making a SVG importer and gave up because its difficulty was enormous
> for my smalltalk skill.

Yes, it is a bit grim. Balloon in its current state will not be able to do
all of the SVG spec.
Still, something is better than nothing!

Thanks for the support, Gary.