Documentation for unix VM source / writing plugins?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jun 2 18:49:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:08:03AM -0400, Daniel B. Faken wrote:

>   I'm wanting to write a proper 'plugin' instead of using the FFI for my
> D-Bus stuff.  Looking at the sources for Sockets etc., it would seem I
> need to use aio.h in platforms/unix/vm/, and then squeak will watch my
> file-descriptors for me.  Is this correct?

Have a look at AioPlugin on SqueakMap, and plagiarize freely. This
partially duplicates some primitives in OSProcessPlugin (also on SqueakMap),
but I split the aio stuff out into a separate package in hopes of making
Ian's aio functions available in a more general form. Note that you are
getting into platform-specific territory here, as the aio functions are
part of the Unix VM code basel As far as I know the equivalent
Windows/RiscOS/etc functions are not available (but of course it must
be possible to do on any platform for which Tk/tcl is available).

HTH,

Dave