StandardFileStream>>truncate:

Tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jun 3 19:10:28 UTC 2005

Avi Bryant <avi.bryant at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is only an issue on unix, btw - the Windows VM gets this right.

Not entirely true - I think Macs would have the same problem since they appear
to use the 'portable' sqFilePluginBasicPrims.c code. And RISC OS has quite
different code but I carefully made it do the same things 'wrong' to maintain
compatability as closely as possible.

There is just so much wrong down there it hardly bears thinking about. Just as
an example relating to truncate - what if two places have the same file open
and one of them truncates? What happens on OS 'X' if you write to a position
beyond the supposed file end? Or try to read?

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim at rowledge.org, http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Useful random insult:- Result of a first cousin marriage.