Squeak 3.1 lost in webspace - how to update squeak ftp ?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Jun 7 17:40:09 UTC 2005

Bruce is correct, there was no final version of 3.1, which is why it is
not on the ftp site.  (It jumped from 3.1alpha/beta to 3.2 final.  I
don't remember why... that was back in the Squeak Central days.)

Given that, there's a good chance that the code you have might work with
Squeak 3.2...?

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:16:07 +0200, "Samir Saidani"
<saidani at info.unicaen.fr> said:
> I don't know if there was a final 3.1, but think it's important to
> backup the alpha, beta and gamma version too. For instance, I wanted
> to try an old squeak code which seems to work with 3.1alpha : with
> this old squeak version, it's more easy to see what I have to port
> (because I can see the old references to the image and compare with a
> new image).

Well, there's only so much server space out there, so I don't think I
agree.  The problem is that there is not a small number of alpha
versions of Squeak... there's usually a few hundred updates in every
alpha cycle, so that means potentially hundreds of Squeak alpha
versions.  Which ones do you pick to put on the server?  (I suppose you
could pick a few, but I'm not sure it's worth bothering.)

The usual way to get back to an old alpha release is to get the previous
final release (3.0 in this case), set it to 3.1alpha (see SystemVersion
doit on the swiki), then do an "update from server" up to the update you
want to go to.  Admittedly this can be tricky with really old images,
because sometimes old images point to outdated update servers, that
might have to be set as well.

As a general rule, it's irresponsible to write code for public
consumption which only works on an alpha version of Squeak, if it's a
standalone thing and not intended as a fix/enhancement for the update
stream.  Of course, that may not be the case with the code you're
talking about... maybe it's your own private bit of code or something
that was intended as a fix/enh.

- Doug