Squeak as an NT service

Steve Wirts stevewirts at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 16:28:15 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm a new squeak programmer, I've been a java developer in recent
years; but cut my teeth in programming in VW smalltalk years ago.

I've been hyping squeak around my office and have an opportunity to
use Squeak/Seaside to deploy a high profile web app in my company.

Infrastructure in house is all NT.  All other web apps are done here
with .net and IIS so not running a web-app on NT is not up for
discussion.  Alas I need to deploy Squeak as an NT service or it's
dead for me.

I want to setup a squeak instance running seaside, and an RFB server.
This way I can monitor/maintain/debug the server from anywhere on my
VPN with a VNC client.

I've seen notes from others about installing squeak as an NT Service
being an issue.  I tried a third party EXE NT service "Wrapper" with
the best results so far.  But this didn't allow for the NT Services to
find out when Squeak went down.

Several questions I have...

1) With respect to NT service Configuration.  Do I need to select the
option  "allow the service to interact with the desktop"?  It seems
like this may be necessary for low level GUI things to be present for
squeak in order for the VNC server to run/ I just don't know.  When I
select this option Squeak fails to start because it cannot find the
image, it's looking for an image with a garbled name, not the one I
specifiy.

2) If I select this option (#1 above) I can't select the "This
Account" and specify a different account with permissions for
networking.  Do I need this so seaside and RFB support can create
server sockets?

I'll be the village idiot for ever suggesting smalltalk if I can't
even get it running as a service; and my hopes of getting more
people/applications using it will be dead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve