[Seaside] Re: Java vs Squeak Page

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 17:24:19 UTC 2005

On 6/10/05, Jon Paynter <kittle at mail.yans.net> wrote:
> Look at the download history for the past 12 months.... zero
>
> Nobody in the java community seems interested in this.  Wilkes has a good point as well.

Yes; the only thing in the Java world that has any kind of mainstream
support and a similar basic philosophy to Seaside is Tapestry, but it
suffers from both the Java environment and even more from the Java
attitude to things like configuration: I get the impression that using
it involves as much time modifying XML files as writing code...

If for some reason I was compelled to do web development on the JVM, I
think the only way to go would be using something like SISC Scheme or
the Rhino Javascript interpreter (both of which run on top of Java) so
that you at least got a decently dynamic and high level language to
work in.  Either of those could support a credible implementation of a
Seaside-like framework, though still without the nice environment that
Smalltalk provides.

We should probably continue this discussion (if at all) on the Seaside
list rather than squeak-dev; it gets enough traffic already without
threads on that J language cluttering it up.

Avi