Apple Services menu via Squeak

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Jun 13 06:34:10 UTC 2005

Yes, I managed to trip over the typo that prevented one from sending
a request to squeak and getting back the response.
Want to try it?  I'll need to fix up a few things and bundle it up on
Monday. I'll note I'm deciding if we should interact
with it the interface directly, or via the clipboard, that and moving
towards unicode versus macroman as the bytes being passed around.

On 12-Jun-05, at 11:16 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> john this is cool for mac user because this way squeak can interact
> with other apps :)
> do you know if it will work on both directions? Squeak as a service?
> stef
>

>> Awhile back someone asked about making the macintosh Squeak VM
>> aware of the Services menu.
>>
>> I spent a few hours today working on this issue and now have a
>> plugin that allows you to feed
>> text, perhaps other things, to the items on the Service menu. For
>> one this allows you to select text
>> in Squeak and invoke Speak Text.
>>
>> However I need a few volunteers to try it.
>>
>> Also I've been trying to understand how to get Squeak to return a
>> value as a result of doing a calculation.
>> So for example in another application selecting '3*4'  and going
>> to the Services menu and invoking
>> "Squeak DoIt" and have it return the value 12.
>>
>> However I've not been able to make this work, oh well perhaps next
>> weekend.
>> --
>> ======
>> John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> 1-800-477-2659