Debian rejects APSL?

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 21:18:20 UTC 2005

On 6/13/05, Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys at hp.com> wrote:
[...]
> As the consequences of interactions between licenses are *not* well
> understood particularly by most programmers, I do strongly urge anyone
> (depending on circumstance and inclinations), to choose one of the big 3
> licenses: MIT or BSD rev 2, LGPL, GPL.  Note I leave the GFDL off that
> list.

My, err, 'strategy' these days is not to put a license on it at all.
If someone wants to use my code in a non-open source way, they can
simply ask me, can't they? ;-). And if they want to rip me off,
they'll do so anyway. If they're "discovered", they can either weasel
out but get bad publicity or get a license from me - personally, I
think the threat of bad publicity, rather than the legal quality of
the GPL has kept it out of heavy court cases so far - it doesn't
really matter what license you put on it, companies don't want to be
seen as code-stealing entities.

Thanks, Lex, for the update on the world of licensing. It's good to
know that SqueakL is in such excellent company ;-)