XML patterns

Hans N Beck hnbeck at t-online.de
Sun Jun 19 09:11:19 UTC 2005

Hi Stef,

Am 18.06.2005 um 21:23 schrieb stéphane ducasse:

> hi
>
> serializing a simple object in XML is simple. Now I was wondering
> if there are good practices to serialize
> and reload composed objects.
>
> For example:
>     if I have an attribute containing a date, should I do the
> readFromString by hand as a postaction?
>
>     if I have an attribute containing a collection, should I
> recreate the collection after loading?

I'm not shure what this example should show. Do you mean to have
patterns for serializing object to XML in Squeak or in general ?

But one remark I would add: in the first step, the tree build from
the XML stream should first reflect the XML structure, that means you
can access a node having text node child, attribute node child and so
on. The values are given as strings, but with type infos. From this
the original object is created, by using this XML nodes and
additional informations like culture info, which allows to interpret
the strings in the value child nodes correct (date, time, currency,
seperators etc).

So is your example above positioned in the first step (XML Node) or
second (object creation) ?

Greetings

Hans