Fixing the look of squeak in 3.9.

Jesse Welton jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Mon Jun 20 19:11:03 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 05:21:42PM -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> The inner frames are too thick in my opinion and rather intrusive. I'd say make
> them thinner and mark the divider-mover part with a dark line rather than
> making the whole thing thick enough to fit a dot inside. There is an old and
> very annoying problem with the divider stuff in that the cursor changes and
> seems to jam up the UI - an artifact of uncompleted event driven changes I
> suspect.

I'm not sure if what you're describing is the same thing I'm thinking
of, but it sounds like an issue related to switching from the hardware
cursor to a software cursor.  When the hand is showing a temporary
cursor, the hardware cursor is made invisible, and we rely on Morphic
to draw the cursor for us.  Since we have to wait for the Morphic
redraw, there is a very annoying glitch on slow machines where the
cursor seems to get stuck or move discontinuously when switching the
cursor back and forth like this.  At one time in the distant past, I
wrote a patch for this which maintained a hardware cursor when
possible, as well as fixing a problem with software hands (Morphic
replay and Nebraska) and the fast window resizing preference.  I found
it to be a great improvement, but apparently nobody else noticed, and
that was that.

With respect to window design, I would like to have a thinner
graphical border for the handle region than in the proposed look
enhancement, but to have the actual active region be slightly wider
than the border.

-Jesse