Memory analysis (was Re: Grasping the concept of Classes & Categories)

David Mitchell dmitchell4 at kc.rr.com
Tue Jun 21 04:48:50 UTC 2005

>> Of course, you need enough memory to handle everything. 2GB might  be
>> a lot or not enough, depending on what each one of those 10,000  or
>> 500 records are doing. Looking at just the 10000. There is  probably
>> an uneven distribution (different customers will have  different
>> usage patterns). Maybe 60% of that traffic wants to enter  during
>> your peak hour, so 6,000 per hour at say 1:00 P.M. local  time. If
>> they timeout at 20 minutes...
>>

> That's an interesting issue. I would need to carefully monitor memory
> usage. Are there any docs that can help me incorporate some memory
> usage analysis of squeak on a per application basis?

I haven't done anything serious in Squeak, but I googled: squeak memory
usage

and came across this interesting site:

http://www.visoracle.com

Which seems to catalog some threads from this list. Found this:

http://www.visoracle.com/squeakfaq/image-size.html

Under the category of:

Squeak Smalltalk : Tools Tricks Usage : prevnext Image Size Space Tally
Print Analysis

--David