Practical RewriteTool

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Fri Jun 24 14:51:59 UTC 2005

chrisdri wrote:

> Hi
>
> Could someone highlight the practical use for the RewriteTool in the
> browser? with examples? I've read the documentation, but found the
> explanation a little bit above my head.

I've not used it in Squeak yet, but at my day job I use it often for
various refactoring operations.
Examples:
- changing direct variable access to accessor methods (or vice versa,
depending on taste)
- fixing systematic typos
- changing code patterns to use a specific idiom or specialized method
which replaces the pattern
And it has a mechanism to break out of the normal pattern matching into
Smalltalk evaluation, so I can do very powerful searches and
transformations when needed (that comes up about once per year, but when
it happens I'm glad that RB supports this kind of stuff).

Cheers,
Hans-Martin