[Q] Win XP VM Icon

Tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jun 28 19:49:50 UTC 2005

Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Use your favourite Windows resource editor to change the icons:
This is where I think RISC OS got something very much more right than any other
OS that I have come across. Applications are simply directories whose name
begins with a ! and that contain a few conventionally named files. You get a
!boot file to tell the OS about mapping filetypes to actions and setup icons, a
!boot file which is rather like the old DOS .bat files, !RunImage is the
default executable, !Help can be text, html or whatever and is opened if
theuser chosses 'help' from the filer window menu. The nice thing is that you
can have anything vaguely plausible stuck underneath that. No nasty Windows
Registy To Bind Them All To Hell. Delete the application directory and
everything is gone, no messing around with complex installation and removal.

OSX has application bundles which appear to be a sort of copy of the idea with
typical Apple make-it-tricky twists.

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim at rowledge.org, http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Manual Writer's Creed:  Garbage in, gospel out.