[BUG] VMMaker/M17N/OSProcess issue

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at techunix.technion.ac.il
Tue Jun 28 22:07:06 UTC 2005

First, I botched that report, should have been #isMemberOf:->isSymbol,
instead of the opposite. Just in case anyone else is following this
here, instead of on Mantis.

David T. Lewis wrote:
> I think there are a few little glitches related to ByteSymbol in the
> latest VMM/SVN sources etc (I'm trying to figure the same thing out myself
> as soon as I get a bit of free time).

Note that Tim has apparently already fixed this particular instance that
I know about in his versions, but this change has not yet made it to
SqueakMap.

[current state of OSPP/VMM]
I thought I'd mention that after fixing that small thing, and reading
some documentation, I did manage to build OSPP, and then run OSP, to the
extent that GraphViz works, so I'm pretty satisfied. CommandShell also
works pretty nicely.

 From the 121 (!) UnixProcess* tests, 66 pass, 10 fail, 45 errors. Many
of the errors give me an annoying OK box, saying that the process access
module is not available (which I would prefer to have appear only
when/if I investigate the bug).

 > Bottom line: For now, use one of Ian's distributions if you are running
 > OSPP. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I am using the Debian packaged Squeak, which seems to be version 3.8a-1
(don't know from who). When compiling the sources, I got Ian's code
(latest tar ball, not SVN), in which I didn't actually find the
UnixProcess plugin. Are you sure its there?

I think OSProcess is great, and I think it should be available out of
the box or very close to it. Not that I have really good ideas how to
achieve that, just a wish.

> p.s. I'm having trouble building the latest VMM and SVN sources on Linux.
> The resulting VM does not see the X11-display plugin. Probably I'm doing
> something dumb, but is anyone else seeing this problem?
Sorry, I built only that plugin, and placed it where my existing VM can
see it, so I have no idea.

Daniel