UI blocked while loading code?

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Wed Mar 2 15:35:09 UTC 2005

Hi.

I'm curious about the way the user interface goes single-threaded when
performing any kind of code-loading activity. It's frustrating sometimes
to do e.g. an update-from-server, or to start a long package
installation, and then to not be able to continue my work while the load
is progressing.

I note that the system as a whole is still multiprocessing - for
instance, I happened to have a Transcript open showing me that Cees's
Tric stuff was still running while code was being loaded - so I imagine
it's mostly a UI implementation issue. What would it take to make these
kinds of things behave more asynchronously? Has anyone done any work
along these lines before?

Tony
--
  [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones  | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
    [][] LShift Ltd          | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
  []  [] www.lshift.net      | Email: tonyg at lshift.net