UI design by committee

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 2 21:05:33 UTC 2005

Dominique Dutoit <dominiqued at versateladsl.be> wrote:

[snip]
> mouse to top of the screen to open the menu bar. It was practical on
> Lo-res screen modes (320x256) as the user didn't have to move the mouse
> that far but became tedious when the first graphic cards were available
> with Hi-res (800x600 and over) screen modes.
Pretty much the same view I have about screen-top menu bars. OK on
small screens, horrific on large ones - and as for multiple large
screens...

> One nice thing was that the Amiga menus permitted to click on menu
[snip]
> executed in that order. (It seems that RISC OS borrowed that feature).
Possible but unlikely; amigas were never very common in UK so I'd put
low odds on anyone on the Acorn team even having seen one. Almost all
the staff for the early versions were games-guys which explains two
things
a) why the kernel OS was (and still is to an extent) pretty poor,
technically
b) why the screen display quality and performance were staggeringly
fast for the time. As game-guys they were utterly obsessed with getting
pixels on glass fast.

tim
Useful random insult:- During evolution his ancestors were in the control group.