Scrollbars (was: UI design by committee)

Michael van der Gulik squeakml at gulik.co.nz
Thu Mar 3 10:07:35 UTC 2005

Tim Rowledge wrote:
> karl <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:
>

>>David T. Lewis wrote:

>>I hope you tape it on the right side.
>
> No! The LEFT side; text usually ends up bunching on the left side (in
> left to right languages at least) so this note, like scrollbars, should
> go on the left.

It feels more natural to have the scrollbar on the right. I'm
right-handed. If I flick through paper, I'll use the right-hand side of
the paper to flick through. Ditto for most physical devices; having
controls on the right-hand side is easier for me.

Ditto for resizing windows, closing windows, floating toolbars and
probably other things if I think hard enough. If it were a real physical
pen-and-paper desktop, all my tools would be near my right hand.

Apologies to all lefties. Perhaps we could make an option that mirrored
all the UI components for left-handed people? :-P.

Mikevdg.