[REPORT] Report 1 from castaways (that name sucks...)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Mar 4 14:08:39 UTC 2005

Hi!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> On 4 mars 05, at 13:44, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> > As I said, not sure. :) Personally I think we should start with
> > partitioning (Avi is leader so this is just my personal thoughts)
> > before
> > we go forward with further refactorings etc.
>
> Not really since this is easier to work on a image than to propagate
> all the changes
> to all the different packages. But if working on packages means having
> a MC package per
> category and slowly making sure it can unload, both actions could be
> done in parallel.
>
> > That would mean that for example you guys could start doing that work
> > with the "kernel" staked out and assigned to you for Stewarding. Which
> > should make decisions easier to make.
>
> I do not understand what you mean.

Well, I think :) I mean this:

- I am hoping that we aren't going to split up the core parts of Squeak
into too many fine grained packages. So for example, all the Class,
Behavior, ClassBuilder blabla stuff will probably end up in one package.
And that one would typically be stewarded by you guys.

- Given this stake out it would mean that we very easily can see who is
in charge of which part, and *that* would make decisions easier to make.

For example, if you intend to make some refactorings and you realize it
will primarily affect parts A and B you could talk to those stewards and
together decide. Changes to SystemDictionary etc that easily affects all
Squeakers are of course still hard to perform - but at least you will
feel our trust to make those decisions.

And again, we need to learn that alpha is alpha and beta is beta. People
getting upset for things breaking in the alpha stream should just have
to learn that yes, things *can* break there. :)

regards, Göran