[ANN] GraphViz for Squeak

Samir Saidani saidani at info.unicaen.fr
Fri Mar 4 15:04:00 UTC 2005

Hi John,

So this graph package was designed by Mario Wolczy and then ported by
Luciano Notarfrancesco and Gerardo Richarde. You can download the
latest version in SqueakSource http://www.squeaksource.com/Graph

John Pierce <john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the invite.  I will look at your graph package sometime
> this week and see what you got going on, but does your graph package
> layout graphs automatically?

Yes, it does. There is several type of layout, a normal layout mode
where positions are random (GraphLayoutMorph), an electrical layout
(SpringLayoutMorph) and a rooted layout (for rooted graphs). It could
be interesting to see how we could include a GraphVizLayoutMorph.

> The biggest thing I need in something like GraphViz is that it lays
> out graphs using well known algorithms that search for the optimal
> layout for nodes and edges.
>
> We are using GraphViz's layout engine to layout graphs with literally
> thousands of nodes and tens of thousands of edges.
>
> How does that kind of feature and scaling requirement fit into your
> graph package?

So I see in the GraphViz package that you are using the shell to call
graphviz, it should be not difficult to port it for unix. For the
scaling, graphviz is more efficient to deal with thousands of nodes
and edges since it's written in C, but we could imagine to write some
plugins in C to have a more efficient rendering for the other types of
layout. But as far as I understand, once the graph is displayed, you
cannot interact with the nodes ? i.e change the layout dynamically,
inspect the nodes, and so one...

Cheers,
Samir

--