3.7/3.8 FileStream compatibility and Seaside/KomHttpServer

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Sun Mar 6 13:57:24 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've developed a simple project in Squeak 3.7 using Seaside and KomHttp some
days ago.
Today I've loaded it into the predefined seaside image provided by Avi. This
image (available at
www.seaside.st) is based on Squeak 3.8 (#6548) and already includes KomHttp
and Seaside.

When running the application here my web images served by the internal
KomHttp Server did'nt
display on the webpages. After comparing the images I've found that
ModFile>>processHttp
includes the following code:

          HttpResponse current: (HttpResponse
				fromStream: (FileDirectory default readOnlyFileNamed: fullFilePath)).

In my working 3.7 image a StandardFileStream instance is constructed when
FileDirectory is asked for the
read only file. In the predefined seaside image a MutiByteFileStream is
constructed. The reason is the
implementation of FileStream(class)>>concreteStream which returns
StandardFileStream (3.7) or
MutiByteFileStream (3.8). The 3.8 implementation is from "yo" (7/5/2004).

I could easily fix the seaside image by changing
FileStream(class)>>concreteStream to return a
StandardFileStream again - but I don't know about the side effects this will
have in the 3.8 image.

Question left is how we can handle the 3.7/3.8 differences in
Seaside/KomHttp and other applications.

Any comments?

Thx
Torsten

--
DSL Komplett von GMX +++ Supergünstig und stressfrei einsteigen!
AKTION "Kein Einrichtungspreis" nutzen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl