UI blocked while loading code?

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Mon Mar 7 16:27:05 UTC 2005

Cees de Groot wrote:
> Stephen's transaction code (Kats, wasn't it?)? Or at least we might
> want  to split up the loading and installing parts; load in the
> background, then  pop up a window "click here to install" that freezes
> the UI for safety's  sake.

That sounds better than the current setup. I like Lex's idea of
downloading and installing in two parallel threads, too.

There's been some neat stuff done recently on transactional memory - see
http://research.microsoft.com/Users/simonpj/papers/stm/ for details. I'm
looking forward to the day such a system is available in my favourite
programming environment :-)

Tony
--
  [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones  | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
    [][] LShift Ltd          | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
  []  [] www.lshift.net      | Email: tonyg at lshift.net