[ANN] new Shapes version

Baveco, Hans Hans.Baveco at wur.nl
Wed Mar 9 22:15:30 UTC 2005

There is a new version of the Shapes package on Squeakmap. It allows you to read geographic data in ESRI's shape-file format, and to display these data as maps. Several (transparent) maps can be displayed on top of each other, with a map-specific coloring of polygons, arcs or points.

See for an example

 http://www.alterra-research.nl/pls/portal30/docs/FOLDER/ACTIVE_ESSAYS/EXCHANGE/PUBLIC/ABRUZZO.PNG

The code is not perfect; maps do not rescale the way I would like them to do, etc.. and most features are still missing (I wonder, is there a straightforward way to implement panning within morphs? - click somewhere within a morph and let the "contents" of the morph move with the hand).

The next version will use a dbf reader to extract the attributes of the "shapes" in shapefiles. In combination with a "legend" tool, polygons/arcs/lines can than be colored according to their attribute values. BTW is there something general available in terms of Legends (objects that translate properties into colors?).

Enjoy,

Hans