As of today, What does "3.9" mean?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Mar 10 20:02:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:32:36 -0800, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:
> 	I think I missed something... when did we decide that the release after
> 3.9 would be major and not minor (i.e., 4.0 instead of 3.10) ?

We didn't. It's tentative. However, it seems like a good idea to bump the
version for several reasons:
- Object format changes seem to be waiting at the doorstep;
- If Morphic splitters, modules, packages teams deliver, there are going
to be some major changes (maybe some of them not entirely
backwards-compatible - would be nice to signal that with a major version
number);
- With a very small core image, we could have a small SqueakV4.sources and
an empty changes file for the first 4.0 release. Cuts down on download
size;
- We ran out of single-digit minor versions ;).

Anyway, if it is not a good idea, we'll just call it 3.10. However, I
think there are some good reasons to call it 4.0 and I can't really find
any arguments against it (so please help me ;)).