Running Squeak on a run only fileing system

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Mar 12 17:06:56 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 05:59:26PM +0100, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are preparing the next freeduc-cd release
> (http://www.ofset.org/freeduc-cd) which is a knoppix based distribution
> dedicated for education.
> We want to include Squeak in this release, however because of the nature
> of this system, we will need the VM Squeak to run over read-only .image
> and .change. It looks like Squeak can handle it, and it only complains
> at start up.
>
> Beside not been able to save the image, are there some traps behind?
>
> Hilaire Fernandes

There are a few places where Squeak tries to write to the changes file.
You will have to find them and disable the writes. I think that there
are also a couple of preferences related to writing error logs that you
will need to be sure are turned off.  I'm afraid I did not take notes
the last time I did this.

Dave