describing multimedia content

Martin Kuball MartinKuball at web.de
Sun Mar 13 15:17:56 UTC 2005

Hi!

It's been a little bit quiet here concerning the multimeda issues. Now
it the past few days I thought about a an issue we have not yet put
on our list. Besides reading and writing audio and video data I would
like to have a database that describes all the bits and peaces on my
computer and external medias. And for that we need a good object
model that describes the content and which can be made persistent
(either in a relational db or in an object db).

So what entities do we need? How do they relate to each other and how
does existing stuff like id3 tags (is there more?) fit into it. At
least there should be things like artists, genres, types and textual
descriptions. Additionaly you would like to have thumbnails for
images and videos and maybe low-bitrate samples of audio to give a
quick info about the actual content.

So, any ideas?

Martin