Mac VM question

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Mar 15 19:00:59 UTC 2005

Ooo a difficult question but I'll point that the mac carbon vm is more
mac aware.

a) supports apple events and apple script.
b) uses HFS+ file names
c) knows about HFS+ aliases
d) Much better integration with os-x unicode text services.
e) Support 1/2/4 bit video
f) Supports multiple windows

Uses
unix file i/o
unix core audio
unix tcp

Historically it gets updated more frequently, and will migrate over
time to

a) unix file names, (perhaps both)
b) more of the unix plugin support
c) perhaps more of the unix cocoa logic.

You must keep in mind the mac VM is a single source that compiles for
mac os 7.5.5 thru to os-x 10.4, however at some point
we will make the os-9.x source a legacy system.

Coming up is:

a) More meta key support for Tweak
b) Command line parm support
c) Headless (maybe) things lurk for that from 5 years ago and need
revisiting.

 From a performance viewpoint things should be the same, benchmarking
your application is of course a wise thing to do.
Stability I would hope be the same across all VM, the VM developers as
a group hope this is the case.

PS Yet another reminder, any os-x crash logs should be emailed to me so
we can address stability issues.

On Mar 14, 2005, at 11:53 PM, mds wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been absent from squeaking for a few months but have recently
> returned
> (triumphantly, of course!), loading up my old images under Mac OS X
> (Panther).
> These were previously running on an OpenBSD VM (and occasionally,
> Linux).
>
> Having recently checked out the svn sources for [unix] and generated a
> VM using
> VMMakerTool (and compiling through Terminal.app), it occurred to me to
> pose the
> question of relative *performance* and *stability* in terms of: Cocoa,
> Carbon,
> Unix VMs on the OS X base. Since I'm in Terminal most of the time, and
> have BSD
> on another box, it seemed natural to generate a unix VM - but was this
> a wise
> choice on my part? [As a side note, all plugins were generated as
> internal]
>
> I've perused the swiki for thoughts but most of the information seems
> to be
> slightly dated. It seems that these comments were made when the advent
> of
> compiling the unix code to Quartz/OSX was a novelty.
>
> Is there a general consensus to use Carbon images (as supplied by
> John) ...?
> Should I be checking out the 'Mac OS' tree using subversion, or is the
> unix vm
> just as suitable?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Warm regards,