Mac VM question

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Mar 16 07:03:27 UTC 2005

On Mar 15, 2005, at 9:27 PM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

>> c) knows about HFS+ aliases
>
> if they just act like symlinks - then yay!

Well they are not like symlinks, they contain content that explains how
to f ind the file, say on
that server over there using this  userid/etc. Even if you move the
file and change the name since it stores the unique file id generated
when the file is created.

> yay! yay! and yay!
>
> Seriously though, the thing that keeps me from using that VM is the
> non-unix view of the file system.

You should consider using URL for the file names and see how/if the
file classes deal with HFS/Unix mapping
There is URL support in the image, or enhanced URI from SqueakMap

Name:		URI
Summary:	Implementation of rfc2396