UI hangups

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Wed Mar 23 15:29:55 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 3:56 am, Baveco, Hans wrote:
> inserted in the #drawOn: method. When opening such a rectangle and
> moving it around on the screen, the UI may hang. For me (on windows) it
> always hangs when the rectangle touches the Transcript window, and most
> of the time I am not able to recover....
> This may be something specific to the Transcript, I don't know, but
> maybe it is a symptom of something else as well..

Touching the Transcript causes it to be redrawn, which causes your code to be
redrawn, etc.

It's best not to use the Transcript while debugging UI code.

I've written a logger that uses a circular buffer (and which you can turn off
and on); you can run some code and then display the results later.

What some people (including me) do to debug UI code (in Morphic or MVC) is to
draw directly on the Display somewhere. There are a number of debug methods
to do just that.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/