wiki sites, wiki software, how do we go forward ?

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Wed Mar 23 16:15:39 UTC 2005

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

> But creating a manual is a big task, and for something like that to
> succeed we would need to really take care on how to organize it and how
> to make sure the structure is "self sustaining" so that it doesn't turn
> into a hodgepodge mess over time.
>
> There have been attempts in the past, using various approaches. All have
> AFAIK "faded" away. A primary reason is of course that the documentation
> should be:
>
> 1. Available directly in Squeak. Thus it would be the "official" one.
> 2. Tied to the code somehow. I have posted earlier about an idea to use
> unit tests for that, if a unit test is updated or fails - then the
> "chapter" concerning that code should be marked as possibly stale.
> 3. Tied to packages so that we get a "distributed ownership" of the
> various chapters.
> 4. Use a strict style/model, so that even if we have hundreds of editors
> it still "fits together".
>
> Well, enough blabbering.
>
> regards, Göran

Since it's an on-going project, maybe a professor and his students can
take on the task of creating a dynamic online manual and updating it
thru the years. It may seem counter to the goals of the teacher. But,
consider:

1. You learn when you write
2. Students contribute to a critical deficiency in Squeak
3. Students contribute to a legacy (thus have more ownership)
4. Continually refreshed pool of writers

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124