Question about Win32 Memory Usage

Steven Swerling sswerling at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 22:34:42 UTC 2005

Hi,

I opened a taskmanager window so that I could monitor memory usage while
I was doing some tests w/ WxMorhic. I noticed when all of the windows
are minimized, suddenly the memory footprint plummets (in this
particular case, from about 60MB to about 10MB -- I had about 10 windows
open). Strangely, after restoring the windows, memory usage stays quite
low as long as you don't do anything inside of the windows (even though
I had BouncingAtomsMorphs going in all the windows). I thought maybe I
was wasting resources somehow.

To be sure I checked it out w/ Lex' 3.7 stable universe image. The same
thing happens. For instance, when you first start the image, it takes up
about 15MB of memory. I added a BouncingAtomsMorph, then mimimized the
window and restored it. The memory usage drops to 4180K and stays there
(if you move the mouse over the window, memory usage starts to trickle
up, but if you don't, it doesn't change).

So I thought maybe the vm was releasing some resources on mimimize --
but unless I was looking in the wrong place (quite possible), the vm
doesn't do anything special when the window is mimized.

It doesn't seem to be related to garbage collection.

Anyone know what's going on? Is there any way to trigger this release of
resources w/out minimizing the window? It might be nice to do this once
every minute or so if it's possible.