UI hangups

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Mar 24 00:20:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:20:04 -0800, Ned Konz <ned at squeakland.org> wrote:
> No; you interrupt the running Squeak first, so one process is active.
> That one will (I believe) be printed first.

Sorry - misinterpretation on my part.

It looks like my code is 'at fault' (for some value of 'at fault') -
retransmission (reliable UDP layer stuff) stops working at some point
because it looks like acks aren't processed. Therefore, the number of
retranmissions processes piles up (way faster than I anticipated). This
kills the image.

It looks like the 900 processes in the image are more than Squeak can
handle. Probably all the time is spent scheduling and Morphic hardly gets
a chance anymore? As all these processes are running on prio 20 (and
constantly giving up CPU time via Delay), it doesn't completely make sense
to me, but it seems the only explanation so far.

(I've rewritten the retranmission code to use a single process, let's see
whether that makes a difference)