wiki sites, wiki software, how do we go forward ?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Thu Mar 24 04:37:38 UTC 2005

On Wednesday, March 23, 2005, at 04:04 PM, Simon Michael wrote:

> goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
>> Now, wiki's are good and bad IMHO. :) The bad is that they often grow
>> without a "plan". The structure is less obvious. I would actually
>> favor
>> a hierarchical documentation for Squeak, like a "proper" manual. As an
>
> Wikis aren't necessarily incompatible with structure; there are
> various ways to rearrange that soup of pages into a hierarchy, for
> example. Wikipedia uses category markers (WikiBadges) and special
> index pages like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Airports .
> Zwiki goes a step further and provides UI features for "reparenting"
> pages, like
> http://zwiki.org/UsersGuide/backlinks . I find adding hierarchy to a
> wiki later works really well. I didn't mention it on my wishlist of
> features for a squeak wiki, because it doesn't feel like a > showstopper.

Good points.  I tend to agree that "reparenting" and reorganizing the
existing content will actually probably work out better than starting
from scratch.  (Because starting this sort of documentation from
scratch inevitably goes nowhere. :-) )

Getting the content more directly accessible in Squeak would be great,
but that feels like one of those things that we shouldn't wait around
forever for, either...  Upgrading the swiki to a new version or
something else (e.g. SmallWiki) might still be worth the effort.
Anyway, this effort would need a leader.  Simon? :-)

By the way, the other suggestion on
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1088 was an obviously good one that
I hadn't thought of... you shouldn't be able to lock a page unless it's
one you just created.

- Doug