Are what the janitors are doing, what needs to be done?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri Mar 25 23:21:50 UTC 2005

> Peace Jerome <peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Are what the janitors are doing, what needs to be
>> done?

The Janitors are doing something that needs to be done, although it is
only a subset of all that needs to be done. :)

The initial focus of the Janitors was just to make sure all issues were
tracked in Mantis (by moving bugs/fixes over there from this list).
But I think I managed to talk Ken into expanding the scope a bit, to
include Mantis and other process improvements as well.  (See the
helpful "How to Report a New Squeak Issue" doc which Ken added to the
Mantis docs page.)  Eventually, hopefully all of steps 1 & 2 from the
original Harvesting Process: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3152

But step 3 from the Harvesting Process (incorporation) is more
complicated, and will be affected by the process of splitting the base
image into packages by the Packages team.  I will be trying to
coordinate a better process for that.  (Unfortunately I haven't had as
much time for this lately as I wanted, but I have a long weekend now to
spend a bit of time on this...)

Some of the discussion on the v3dot9 list has been about this and the
update stream.

>> Quite frankly, My perception is the janitors will
>> generate a lot of noise and result in very little of
>> the actual problems being solved. It will obscure the
>> fact that what is needed is problem solvers and bug
>> fixers and not just text processors.

Note also that the bug-transfer aspect of the Janitors mission should
be relatively short-term... eventually people will realize that the old
way is no longer supported.

- Doug