Multithreading

Marten Feldtmann m.feldtmann at t-online.de
Sat Mar 26 07:20:20 UTC 2005

Daniel Salama schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing a bit of a problem with a simple task I'm doing. I'm
> trying to read a file and print something in the Transcript window
> while reading the file. The problem I find is that while Squeak is
> reading the file, the VM dedicates 100% of its processor time to that
> task. On the same VM, I'm running Seaside, so while the VM is reading
> the file, Seaside cannot render any pages. Any suggestions on how to
> overcome this problem?

 Multithreading in Smalltalk does not mean native threads. You must
build in
process switches within your code - either with stuff like:

    Procesor yield

or put your actice process to sleep for some milliseconds.

On the other hand you may perhaps fork your background process with
a lower priority.

Marten