Multithreading

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Mon Mar 28 13:59:06 UTC 2005

Avi,

I didn't mean to criticize on anyone (specially you) that corresponded
on that thread. When I mentioned that the question in performance
wasn't answered, I wasn't necessarily referring to the Transcript>>show
question.

As a matter of fact, you were the first one to tell me not to use
Transcript>>show. I ran the method with Transcript>>show and it took
over 34 minutes to execute. I ran the same code without the
Transcript>>show and it took just over 3 seconds. I certainly
appreciate the pointing out that Transcript>>show is a very expensive
method to call.

Now, I presented a scenario of an application I wrote with Ruby On
Rails and described the working environment where that application is
running. My hope was that may be someone would have experience with
Squeak/Seaside with a similar type of application or application that
operated under similar conditions to comment how that behaves in
Squeak/Seaside. As one of my first projects I want to work with in
Squeak/Seaside is the porting of this application with all of its data.
It's ambitious considering it to be a "first" project, but that's just
the way I find myself challenged to do things. I just wouldn't want to
go through all the effort to find out at the end that it simply won't
handle the volume (efficiently).

Thanks,
Daniel