Multithreading

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 16:17:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:53:29 -0500, Daniel Salama <dsalama at user.net> wrote:
> I went ahead a tried to give OmniBase a shot only to discover the
> following:
>
>         "OmniBase is currently fully supported only on Win32 platform.
>         For other OS's one has to fully implement file locking and file
> sharing flags."
>
> This is from
> ODBFileStream>>createOn:createMode:accessMode:shareMode:cacheMode:
>
> Is there a version of OmniBase that works in Linux?

Yes, we have one, but it's not easily available yet.  The
modifications were done to the commercial version of OmniBase, and so
we can't distribute them.  Probably the best thing to do at this point
would be to ask David Gorisek if he would release an up to date free
version of OmniBase for Squeak (ie, remove the GC bits from the
current commercial port).  Then we can merge our unix support into
that.

Note also that the file locking is only important for concurrent
access, so you should be able to do some basic tests even without it.

Avi