My first Magma experience

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Thu Mar 31 19:26:18 UTC 2005

First, I want to apologize again for re-posting this issue again. I
didn't mean to create the additional traffic. I just wasn't sure if my
message got posted since I noticed the list wasn't working last night.

On Mar 31, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

>> After I executed this, I inspected ms to see that it is of
>> MagmaServerConsole type and has an attribute called statistics, which
>> I'll come back to later.
>
> Oops, you never went back to it.  I was hoping to see whether the
> stats were
> indicative of 11-minutes worth of commits...

Yes, I did forget to come into it. However, while watching the
statistics, the numbers changed for only a few seconds and after that,
they froze. I would say they froze after about 15 seconds of showing
updated statistics. Even after the exception was raised in the other
VM, the statistics were never refreshed. Sorry I didn't post the
numbers shown.

> Ah, I see what the problem is.  It is a Squeak bug which was not fixed
> in 3.7.
> It's actually two bugs which are described here:
>

> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-June/
> 078839.html

I wasn't aware of it. I just started working with Squeak. Will review
that thread.

> One of these has been integrated into 3.8, the other hasn't.  As of
> yesterday,
> I re-posted Magma to SqueakSource with these fixes included.  It
> sounds like
> you did not load Magma from SqueakSource since then.  Please verify
> the version
> you are using is not the latest and try your test again.

There was a thread yesterday to which you had responded that the
version in SqueakSource was not the latest version and so you posted
the URL to download the latest Monticello packages. It was a few
minutes after your post that I downloaded the Monticello packages. If
you made changes there and reposted to SqueakSource after that, I
didin't get that yet. I will download the latest version from
SqueakSource now and give it a try again.

> If run into further issues, and please copy me directly to ensure I
> don't miss
> your post to the list.

Thank you. I will sure include you in the email. Hopefully it will all
go smoothly.