Monticello dependencies

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Thu Mar 31 22:47:38 UTC 2005

Chris Muller wrote:
> Monticello is wonderful for one-click loading, but one-click saving still
> eludes me.
>
> I just want to work on code anywhere in the system and then save my root
> package to a repository and feel confident that it and the subpackages will be
> recreated in the loading image just as they exist in my saving image.
>
> Does Monticello purport to meet this requirement or not?

It depends on what you mean by "anywhere in the system."

If you mean anywhere in the packages that you're managing with
Monticello, then yes, saving your root package will do everything
necessary to recreate the state of your dependent packages when you load
that version of the root again. If it doesn't, it's a bug. I rely on
this pretty heavily when developing OB, and haven't had any problems.

If "anywhere in the system" could include any code in the image, then
no, Monticello doesn't support the requirement.

> If so, am I the only one experiencing this?  Perhaps I am overusing
> dependencies; I counted and have dependencies that run *eight* levels deep.  Is
> this insane?  Is there anything I can do to assist the maintainers in
> reproducing this?

What are you experiencing? I interpret what you've said above to mean
that you're not confident that dependencies behave the way you expect.
Have you encountered behavior that you didn't expect?

8 levels is a bit more than I have in OB, but it's not at all
unreasonable. With that big a tree you might want to check that you
haven't missed a dependency somewhere, but otherwise it ought to be fine.

Colin