[Fwd: asked for ISP donations?]

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed May 4 13:47:34 UTC 2005

Marcus Denker <denker at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Am 03.05.2005 um 01:38 schrieb Lex Spoon:
> > Well, you'll never know if you don't ask.  There are some extremely
> > trustworthy and capable Squeakers who are already running important
> > servers for us, and not all of them read squeak-dev or even know that
> > there is a problem being discussed.
> >

> I don't think that anyone would give us a complete server with root
> access
> and service (replace hardware, reboot in 24h) for free. Especially
> root-access
> should be near impossible at a company/university.

And yet, exactly this has happened in the past.

You act like it is excrutiatingly hard to talk to our own people.  I
find there actually is a lot of possibility if I chat people up and let
them know what is going on.  Big organizations have some incentives to
help us if you approach them politely and creatively.  They all like to
be seen as benefactors to the world, and a few of them actually have
vested interests in Squeak.

But it depends on what you want.  There is an existing Squeak community,
and if you want to be a leader in it, then surely you need to establish
some connections with the existing crowd.  Alternatively, maybe it would
suit your personalities better to start a new thing, do everything
exactly how you like to do it, and then try to get people to switch
over?  It would be like the Stable Squeak project, only this time for
real!  There's good and bad with each choice.  Just please don't cause
friction by calling it squeakfoundation.org yet not wanting to work with
the existing community.

Lex