lists on gmane, call for input

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Thu May 5 18:31:44 UTC 2005

gmane.org is a non-profit service which mirrors mailing lists as
newsgroups with an excellent user interface. I posted
http://joyful.com/SqueakLists a while back with the goal of making
better use of this for the Squeak community.

Not all squeak lists belong on gmane, but IMHO any with public archives
containing useful content do, if someone cares enough to request it, and
that it's not necessary to clear this with every list owner first. I'm
posting this short discussion from #squeak with Ken's permission to
explain further, raise awareness and give people another chance to opine
against it for particular lists. Feedback welcome.

kencausey: So if you want to push for that, join the team.
sm: I have not the patience for another list right now.. that's not your
fault
kencausey: I'm not sure what you mean, the list traffic is very minor.
sm: I'll request it be added to gmane, as a step in that directino
kencausey: I think there have been 3 or 4 messages in the last week at most.
kencausey: Even though it's a public list, I don't think it really needs
to be publicized outside of the Squeak community.
sm: subscribing/unsubscribing to lists is too much overhead for things
I'm not involved in daily
kencausey: Also it is probably not a permanent list.
sm: dropping in and out of a newsgroup is a much  lower bar
kencausey: Sending one email is too much overhead?
kencausey: Well, OK, two emails (confirm).
sm: managing folders, filter rules, etc etc
kencausey: whatever
sm: I think a -website list is a fairly permanent thing, so adding to
gmane makes sense
sm: don't you think ?
kencausey: I don't automatically agree no, but I'm not on the team so I
can't really know.
sm: I see
kencausey: I think it would only be polite though to discuss it with the
team before you add their list to gmane.
kencausey: I for one would not like it for the two teams I manage.
sm: I hear you
sm: politeness is good, but..
sm: when there's 30+ squeak lists and new ones popping up.. and their
archives are public.. and the list owner sees gmane's subscribe
request.. and somebody wants to help out without a time-consuming back
and forth between moderator and gmane
sm: I think it's fine to just request it
sm: I did publicise my intent and the http://joyful.com/SqueakLists page
on the main list