How to change the squeak licence ?

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Fri May 6 18:29:18 UTC 2005

On 5/6/05, Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire at ext.cri74.org> wrote:
> Cn you reword? I will be interested to understand what you mean by "VRI
> has nailed this problem"

Read the license on
http://croquetproject.org/Croquet_Technologies/license.html - that's
the only license you're going to get when you download Croquet.
Viewpoints Research Institute effectively gives you a license to
Croquet (and, because it is included with it, Squeak) that is mostly a
MIT/BSD style license. Which means that it appears they have nailed
the problem of re-licensing Squeak.

And even if they haven't, if someone complains, I can simply point to VRI :-)

Therefore, the easiest way to 're-license' Squeak is to:
a) download the OpenCroquet Jasmine release;
b) strip all the 'excess code' (compared to, say, a Squeak basic image)
c) release as Squeak under any license we like (plain MIT would be fine).
This is a bit of a technical effort, but at least we know how to deal
with that, and saves us the hassle of having to talk to Apple, Disney,
... lawyers.