OT - streaming video in Windows

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Tue May 10 16:15:12 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

A friend is building an ROV, and he needs to stream video from it over the
internet (for remote operation).

The code at both ends (the ROV controller and the GUI) is VisualAge, but
I'm hoping some people on this list can help.

He would ideally like to interface VA directly to VFW for this at both
ends, but we're not sure how to get the streaming part working (on both
ends), so I thought I would post here before starting a more exhaustive
search.

Does anyone have any pointers? We're looking for something hopefully simple
to hook to. I looked at a few of the open source video streaming projects,
but they seem hopelessly complex in terms of API.

My friend was able to get a simple VFW control embedded in a VA window in a
matter of hours, for the version that controls the ROV directly. It would
be nice if there was a similarily simple way to accomplish streaming.

Thanks,
Jon