Set a files timestamp or copy a file with identical date

Tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed May 11 01:12:21 UTC 2005

Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> The only thing I was definitive about is the fact that I always hated
> (and still do) the idea to look for files in too many different places,
> e.g.,
>
> Cross/plugins/FooPlugin/FooPlugin.h
> Cross/plugins/FooPlugin/FooPlugin.c
> Win32/plugins/FooPlugin/sqWin32FooPlugin.h
> Win32/plugins/FooPlugin/sqWin32FooPlugin.c
>
> It's just too much for my simple mind to deal with ;-)
You're just being disingenuous I think; you manage to keep more things in mind
than most of us. Perhaps we could reconsider the file layout strategy a
little - given that windows seems to be able to manage some form of link (is it
actually transparent to file opening etc?) maybe we could use the filecopying
phase to put links into place rather than the actual files. That way we could
probably clean out generated files properly later whilst making it look like
all the files are in one place. You would have the enjoyable illusion that you
only had one place to look. Your makefile might be simplified. Your coffee
would taste smoother.

Probably work for unix too - I remember Ian complaining that he was wearing out
his '../' key.

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim at rowledge.org, http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Strange OpCodes: SDLI: Shift Disk Left Immediate