the Difficulty of using squeak

John H Woods gmane.squeak at jhwoods.com
Fri May 13 21:48:39 UTC 2005

Avi Bryant <avi.bryant <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Out of curiosity, and also because I wish that the above weren't true:
> are these sentiments mostly related to Morphic development, or to
> using Squeak in general?  Ross seems to be  talking specifically about
> Morphic, and by contrast my experience with training people to do web
> development in Squeak has been fairly positive (once they get over the
> idiosyncracies of the look and feel).  But that may have to do with
> getting one-on-one training more than anything else.

Avi, you may be right, it's difficult to learn things from scratch without a
bit of a basic how to from a friend, colleague or teacher.

It's Morphic that's frustrating me at the moment.  On the Windoze platform at
least, you can resize a workspace window to such a small size that the bottom
scroll bar pokes out of the bottom of the window.

I thought this ugliness would be easy to fix.  But I can't even work out how
to ensure a Morph doesn't shrink to less than a certain minimum extent.  When
I create a Morph class of my own, I can't stop it from being shrinkable to
nothing, even though I can see some Morphs don't do this.  And I can't even
see what methods are exercised when you drag the yellow halo button.  It's not
so much that I want the answers to these particular questions, but that I seem
to be making no progress to sorting them out myself.  My previous experience
in VW was that when I was being thick, I could at least get closer to a
solution in a stepwise fashion --- I knew I'd get to the bottom of it
eventually.  In Morphic, I feel I'm not even able to start.

... John