Hosting [was: Re: image stripping information - where?]

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at fast-mail.org
Mon May 16 19:31:52 UTC 2005

On Monday 16 May 2005 12:17, in a message called Re: Hosting [was: Re: image
stripping information - where?], Yanni Chiu wrote:
> Jason Rogers wrote:
> > I "ditto" this.  I think $12/month is pretty reasonable.  For this price
> > I wouldn't expect a hefty environment.  However, I would like to tweak
> > what we would get for this price.  Eg. 500 - 800 MB disk space, 1 MySQL
> > DB, 1 website with email.  With Seaside the greatest need besides memory
> > is disk space, since images tend to grow quite a bit.  They do shrink
> > after a while, but I wouldn't want my app to start crashing/failing
> > because I ran out of disk space that I need only for a matter of hours.
>
> Do you mean that you actually save your Seaside application image?
> I would think that the "production" image is frozen, and all data
> is saved in the associated DB. If you're trying to capture session
> state by doing an image save, then I find it hard to imagine that
> an image saved at a random moment in time could be restarted with
> any certainty as to it's correspondence with a user's web client.
> So I don't see the point in doing it.

I don't save anything in the image explicitly.  It's all from Seaside's growth
patterns.  I don't know exactly what causes the image growth, but I would
venture to say that it is Session information.  I took someone's advice to
clean up all session handlers at every login, but I still see that the image
grows and shrinks from time to time.

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I,
but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in
the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved
me, and gave himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20