[Q] Is 3.8 really final ?

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue May 17 14:15:18 UTC 2005

Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> Have you tried, Edgar, to use Services + RB extensions?  If that works,
> then RB per se may be come unimportant.

Lex, Refactoring Browser load with the little trick mentioned.
I don't try Services, but I see.

>Where should information like this be reported?  I'm sure 3.8's managers
>would like to have info on the status of major packages.  Is Mantis the
>place?  How about success reports?  Maybe we should do this on the
>swiki?

Important people seems to busy this days.
Where are guides ? Coordinators? Someone ?

Re-reading all what happen from 3.6 era I think what we go a long way , with
some caveats.

>I know that at some point we have to draw the line.  IMHO, RB is at
>least of borderline importance.  It's a major bragging point of Squeak,
>and it's an application that uses text-as-code.  It would be a shame to
>ship without one of our best applications, and it would be worrisome
>that if RB doesn't work then other applications using text-as-code might
>not work either.

Some people are working on it (Andreas), maybe more test is needed.

>But it's a hard decision, and I understand that we can't just sit here
>waiting forever.  Some people would rather have 3.8 released even if RB
>does not work.  This is something the general community will have to
>decide.

And keep what was decided, I go some two steps forward and one back
behaviour IMHO.

By the way , you begin to prepare Universes for 3.8 ?
As  I only have modem connection I manage to have SqueakMap working without
connection (useful if you loaded packages some time and wish try other image
build ).

Cheers and keep very good work.

Edgar