[Q] Is 3.8 really final ?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu May 19 12:28:10 UTC 2005

Hi folks!

I have been waiting for the final 3.8 release to be made so that I could
write a new report about the "state" of what is going on. That report
will still have to wait a day or two so that I can take a closer look at
3.8 (because the zip is not what I expected, and I have emailed Michael
about it), but I wanted to respond a bit here.

"Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene" <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> Yoshiki
>
> >   Probably not.  But, the problem was the early adaptors; I'd suspect
> > that majority of packages weren't not tyring to follow the old string
> > hierachy.
> >
> >   Still, we need to check these packages and update if necessary.
> >
> > -- Yoshiki
> I saw the "official" 3.8 final announces.
> Sounds like "we know still too many bugs , but declare final anyway"

No, not really. The 3.8 has been delayed quite a bit already due to
several factors and I think Michael decided it was time to put down the
foot. I have good hopes for the release, even if the recent big changes
(m17n) has created issues. But such is life, we need to move forward.

> And I do not wish repeat the Big Bang warning what send a long time ago.
> All as I see is divergence .
> 3.8.x ? Are you serious?

Yes, what Michael meant is that with 3.8 we will take greater care in
backporting important fixes so that 3.8 can be gradually "fixed". Post
release fixes hasn't been used much in earlier releases, but this time
we have prepared a bit for them - for example, the final image should
ask the user when started the first time if he/she wants to load
updates.

Note: The zip uploaded and mentioned by Michael is... not the final Full
(or Basic) image AFAICT. Not sure if Michael made a mistake or if this
"pre-loaded" image is something different.

>  Said something and not keep decision. (nothing was removed from this
> release and converted to SqueakMap package for loading).

We never said that we would do that for 3.8. 3.8 is meant to be the
"last" fat release.

> Someone with power decides changes the rules and "the rest of us" suffer.

No. Michael is release boss for 3.8, he calls the shots - but AFAIK no
"rules" has changed.

Unfortunately Michael has been very busy lately with other things, but I
have confidence in that 3.8 will be released properly during the
following days.

> Sorry If one more time I should wear the Advocatus Diaboli togue.
>
> Edgar

regards, Göran