need feedback on http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Sat May 21 02:12:20 UTC 2005

Stef, this is my "report"

Install:

1) Windows 2000, Service Pack 4:
==============================

First I did not read instructions:

	- uninstalled any Squeak from system
	- downloaded ReadyPCyyy.zip
	- unziped to c:\temp\stefsbots
	- double clicked on C:\temp\stefsbots\ReadyPC\squeak.exe
	- the above action opened the "bot system", looks good
	- clicked on the yellow "Bot" and typed "go: 100" - error .. ok i realized it
is a class
	- clicked on the Blue Bot and typed "go: 100" - worked :)

Then I read instructions, a few notes:

	- the names (e.g. the ReadyPCyyy.zip filename) are somewhat different than in
docs on the website. You may want to name it "Bots.zip" or similar.
	- dropping the image on executable works nicely, i never tried that with
squeak, but then i don't use windows much.

A few Notes:
------------

	- i am not completely sure running fullscreen does not confuse beginners on
windows because it hides the "Start" toolbar.
	- you may want to add some text on the system: "to quit (or to do anything),
right-click anywhere on the system window..."
	- i asked my kids and they said they don't know what WinZip is, and that they
do not think they have it in school. Maybe that is an indication it would
make sense to wrap your zip as installable file to increase the available
audience ...
		- in fact i tried one Windows installer:
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/download/ (i am not associated with them in any
way :) )
		- you can use their zip2exe feature - it takes a while, but it creates
ReadyPC-yyyyy.exe that can be "installed" simply by double-clicking at it and
it is smaller - i tried it. No WinZip required.
		- with some playing around, there is probably a way to make an executable
that installs an icon for Bots on your desktop. Let me know if you'd need
help.

2) SuSE 8.2, I do have VM 3.8 installed

	- using KDE
	- used the same ReadyPCyyy.zip
	- un-arked ReadyPCyyy.zip to $HOME/squeak/botinc
	- created desktop icon named Bots, properties==>"cd
$HOME/squeak/botinc/ReadyPC;squeak Ready.image"
		- starts up, works as well :)

It's really nice, we played a bit (my girls and i) with your Bots a probably 2
years ago .. but now they are teenagers  so I could not make them play :( and
there's little time right now, as they are leaving in 2 weeks for the summer
so i will have more time then, if you need someone to play with it in more
detail and report, let me know...

Later Milan